Skip to main content
Submitted by jeremychoate on Sat, 02/03/2018 - 13:16

I've used DMCs, before, so I'm familiar with how to implement the ELO functionality. I cannot clear the ELO using MO and SH. Here's my situation:

I have no program loaded on the DMC. I'm in the electrical checkout phase of startup, so I'm simply moving the stepper axes using terminal commands. The first thing that has me puzzled is the fact that if I have both motors on, and I put voltage on the ELO pin (pin 5), the ELO does not trip. I have to actually have an axis in motion and put voltage on the pin before the ELO will trip. I was of the understanding that as long as a motor was on, the ELO would trip, regardless of whether it was in motion. If my understanding is incorrect, feel free to correct me.

Also, once the ELO does trip, clearing the voltage on the ELO pin and issuing the MO and SH commands does not reset the ELO. I have already checked to ensure that no voltage is on the pin, going so far as to disconnect the wire to the pin, altogether.

Once the ELO is tripped, the ONLY way that I can reset it is by performing a pinhole reset on the controller.

Am I missing something, or is there something wrong with my DMC.

Thanks for any help you can provide.

Comments 3

andriys on 02/05/2018 - 09:09

The issue was resolved after contacting Galil Support.

jeremychoate on 02/05/2018 - 11:05

UPDATE:

The issue was resolved by performing a Master Reset of the controller. However, once I began configuring the controller for my particular application, the behavior returned.

I discovered that if I apply Low Current Mode to my stepper axes (LC 1, 1), the behavior returns. It is only when I turn off Low Current Mode (LC 0, 0) does the behavior go away.

Andriys is researching this discovery, for me, to see if he can re-create the behavior on Galil's end and offer some insight.

andriys on 02/15/2018 - 10:44

As mentioned in Command Reference for the LC command, "Setting LC to 0 for each axis may be necessary to shut off all current to the motors in the "motor off" (MO) state". This is the reason why jeremychoate was experiencing this issue.